Nerd's Eye View

nerds, geeks, satire, news, joy.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Rent Ends: Mortgage Begins

After twelve years of running on Broadway, Jonathan Larson's smash musical Rent will come to a close, come the 1st of June, 2008. This monumental drama about twenty-somethings living La Vie Bohème in New York City during the 1990s, was a hit from the very beginning, going from an off Broadway boom to a Broadway ka-boom, in a mere two months. Rent addressed topics like AIDS, heroin abuse, the LGBTQ community, and life as a struggling artist. It will without a doubt be regarded in the same respect as classics like Raisin in the Sun, and Hair.
But hey! No more dwelling on the boohoo! A new musical is in town, and this one is making people say "Rent who? Rent wha?" Yes, that's right, disregard every thing I said in the last paragraph, because while Rent may be leaving Broadway, there's a new classic on the rise, and this one spins a different tale about American life. It's called "Snoopy in The Oval Office", and it happens to star combating Republican Presidential Candidates Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney!
"It came to me -well, us- in a dream" smiles Mitt Romney as he motions between himself and his self-proclaimed "Partner in Crime", Mike Huckabee.
"A dream of a dream!" laughs Mr. Huckabee, as he quotes one of his favourite movies, The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. "It's about Jesus you know!" Mr. Huckabee says, concerning his love for The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. Both men laugh.
"Don't get me started on Jesus!" Mr. Romney says, inspiring both men to laugh again. "He's one of the only things 'ole Mike-abee and I disagree on," Mr.Romney informs me, "other than religion, he and I are like oil and vinegar; we make a delicious salad!"
A delicious musical, too! "Snoopy in The Oval Office" is a story of love, betrayal, and those cut-throat decisions that are "oh too familiar in the life a modern Politician", says Mr. Huckabee.
This musical came about when Mr. Huckabee and Mr. Romney were "knockin' back a coupla cold ones," Mr. Romney says, as he describes that fateful night on the Nevada Caucus campaign trail. The two men became heavily intoxicated, and before they could say "evolution doesn't exist", a new Broadway baby was born.
"Normally after a night of heavy drinking, I like to let bygones be bygones," explains Mr. Huckabee, "but when I woke up that morning, I turned to Mittens here, and said "Hell Mittens, I don't think we can let what happened in Las Vegas, stay in Las Vegas!" And boy did Mr. Romney agree.
"Boy did I agree!" says Mr. Romney, "I got my Great Uncle Gomeson on the phone, he's an old Hollywood type you see, he knows show business inside and out, and I says to him, I says 'Ole Gomey, you gotta read this script! It's a keeper!', and 'Ole Gomey says to me 'I'll be the judge of that!'" Mr. Romney laughs, "What a hoot 'Ole Gomey is."
Before the two candidates knew it, they were on their way to being the next Cats.
"I guess we'll just have to play it by ear," Mr. Huckabee says, putting his arm around Mr. Romney's shoulders, "We're just thankful we met up at the right place, at the right time."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home